Flange Face Types Explained for Forged Applications
Flanges are essential components used to create reliable connections in piping systems across a wide range of industries. One of the critical factors to consider when selecting a flange is the flange face type, which determines the sealing method and affects the overall performance of the connection. Let’s explore four primary flange face types, raised, flat, male & female, and tongue & groove.
Raised Face Flanges
Raised face flanges are the most common flange face type, featuring a raised surface surrounding the bore. This raised surface provides additional sealing pressure, ensuring a tight connection when used with a gasket.
- Increased sealing pressure
- Suitable for high-pressure and high-temperature applications
- Compatible with various gasket materials
- Oil & Gas industry
- Power generation
- Chemical processing
Flat Face Flanges
Flat face flanges have a smooth, flat surface without any raised area, making them ideal for low-pressure applications and non-critical connections.
- Lower sealing pressure
- Ideal for low-pressure applications
- Suitable for use with fragile or brittle materials
- Water treatment facilities
- HVAC systems
- Plumbing installations
Male & Female Flanges
Male & female flanges consist of a pair of flanges, with one featuring a raised (male) surface and the other featuring a recessed (female) surface. When connected, the two flanges form a self-aligning, leak-proof seal.
- Self-aligning design
- Enhanced sealing capability
- Reduced gasket requirements
- High-pressure and high-temperature systems
- Subsea pipelines
Tongue & Groove Flanges
Tongue & groove flanges also consist of a pair of flanges, with one featuring a raised tongue and the other featuring a matching groove. When connected, they form a precise, leak-proof seal without the need for a separate gasket.
- Accurate alignment and sealing
- Eliminates the need for a separate gasket
- Ideal for high-pressure applications
- Chemical processing plants
- High-pressure steam lines
- Hydraulic systems
Understanding the different flange face types and their applications is crucial for selecting the most suitable flange for your project. At Western of Texas, we offer a wide range of high-quality flanges to meet the unique needs of various industries. Contact our team today at 409-246-2427 or reach out to us here to discuss your requirements and learn more about our products and services.