As the leading carbon steel flanges manufacturer, our team at Western of Texas wants to provide some vital information about this topic and carbon steel in a general sense. The following information also provides insights into the applications where carbon steel is utilized.
Things to Consider When Deciding on Carbon Steel Pipe Fittings
The primary things to consider when choosing carbon steel pipe fittings include:
- The Level of Quality Control – It is crucial to demand strict levels of quality control when purchasing carbon steel pipe fittings.
- Consistency of Quality – Another factor to look for is a consistent quality that includes secure connections made by the pipe fittings.
- Installation Speed – It is essential to select pipe fittings that will minimize required downtime through the speed of installation.
- An Appearance That is Professional and Clean – Pipe fittings free of oil, rust, debris, and grease are critical to look for.
Carbon Steel Types
There are three types of carbon steel. They include:
- Low-Carbon Steel – Low-carbon steel has a carbon content that is less than 0.25 percent. It is the most used carbon steel type.
- Medium-Carbon Steel – Medium-carbon steel includes a carbon content that ranges from 0.25 to 0.6 percent and manganese content of 0.6 to 1.65 percent.
- High-Carbon Steel – High-carbon steel has a carbon content ranging from 0.6 to 1.25 percent and manganese content of 0.3 to 0.9 percent.
Advantages of Carbon Steel Flanges
- Improved strength
- Easy to recycle/environmentally friendly
- Shock resistant
- Resistant to wear
- Safe to handle compared to other metal options
- Costs less than stainless steel
Carbon Steel Flange Applications
The applications for low-carbon steel include components for auto bodies, bridge components, food cans, and pipes. Medium-carbon steel is used for crankshafts, railways tracks, gears, and other machinery parts. High-carbon steel is utilized for dies and cutting tools, among other uses.
Find Out More About Purchasing Carbon Steel Flanges
Contact Western of Texas today for your consultation about the purchase of custom ASME pressure vessels. We are the industry-leading carbon steel flanges manufacturer and are known for our outstanding customer service. Our sales department is ready to speak with you about your individual needs today. Give us a call at (877) 246-2429 or message us online to find out more. You can also see our brochure to learn more about carbon steel flanges and our manufacturing capabilities.